It’s one of the most amazing origami crafting works allowing us to make a perfect fortune teller for kids. It’s not surprising to hear that even adults can spare time making these ones at some certain points of time. It’s fun, exciting, and worth a try from you! By using it, you may find it easy to come up with various things to write on this traditional fortune teller paper. Learn how to fold and craft it now through the step-by-step instructions below.
1. Paper preparation
– The first thing to do is to prepare a piece of paper shaped like a square. It’s your choice to add more glow to it by painting it with the color you like. Make sure that it has a square shape when we first look at it. If it looks more like a rectangle, feel free to fold it into a square and don’t forget to trim the excess.
– In order to make a square, you need to fold the paper at one corner in a diagonal way until you can see all edges lining up. Also, please cut off the long rectangular shaped piece right at the bottom of your unfolded paper.
2. You can decorate now
It’ll be more fun and eye-catching when you decide to decorate on one side only of the origami paper. Draw small twists or circles with your paints, pencil, pen, or crayon to make it out of a traditional cootie catcher.
3. Have your paper folded vertically
In this step, you need to fold your origami lengthwise by making it in half to make all edges line up, which allows you to gain two rectangular-shaped pieces. Try to make a crease on the edge to get the fold clearly defined. Afterwards, it’s time to unfold it and get it back to its normal square shape like before.
4. Fold the paper horizontally
Have it folded widthwise by folding it in half again right after letting it go back to the square shape in step 3. Make sure that this fold will be in the opposite direction as compared to the last fold in the previous step. The edges should be defined and kept in place through the action of creasing the fold, and then you’re supposed to unfold it again. When looking at the paper, it should have a large “X” letter right in the center.
5. Have four corners folded into the center
You should work with one individual corner by folding each one into the center of the paper. After doing it, you may see a smaller piece of square or a diamond-shaped piece of paper.
6. Turn it over and fold it again
Have your small square flipped over to begin folding it again by making all previously folded corners face downwards. You will let the flat top of the paper face you if doing this. Try to repeat the last step by folding each of four corners into the center. Doing it will leave you again with a smaller square or diamond-shaped piece.
7. Get it folded again in half for each direction
It’s time to bring your origami’s stage of folding to the end in this step. Before finishing the cootie catcher, please fold the paper in half for both sides. By doing it, you will find it easier to get it opened up.
8. Pull all tabs towards you
Turn it over, and make sure that all small squares to be opened up right at the corners. Try to pull them outwards with the center folded inwards a little bit. Now you can insert your fingers into four empty slots.
9. Write fortunes and your favorite stuff on your complete cootie catcher
Each of the tabs at four corners should be added with one specific color. Flatten it out, and you can label the inside tabs with the individual numbers. Be certain that each inward tab has already been labeled with a fortune right below a corresponding number.
How to Play
- Ask a friend to select a color or any object that you write on one of those flaps.
- Move them in and out, and spell out the word she’s chosen.
- Open it up to display the numbers, and it’s your turn to ask her to choose one.
- Count number out while moving the flaps in and out.
- Ask her to pick another number, and do the same thing like the last time.
- Ask her again to select the third number, and show her the answer from the inside flap.